Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Fishing in the Keys


I did mention that I didn't catch any fish right? Well on our first day out fishing with Bob (which would have been Thursday) Andy did. The fish with the yellow fins is a Jack. Apparently they can get quite large. The other picture he has two snappers. Which we had for dinner that night. Very tasty.

I actually had fish hooked a couple of times, but they got off for a variety of reasons. One must have gone under a rock, because no matter how much I pulled nothing happened, and no matter how much Bob pulled, nothing happened. Finally we just broke the line. Bob said it must have been a Goliath Grouper, but didn't use that name...

Anyway, later we ended up at some mangroves which is where Andy caught dinner. We would flip the little bait fish under the mangrove, and the grouper would swim out and eat it. Wouldn't have been so tough, but the reel was on the wrong side, so I every time I caught one it would take my gimpiness too long to reel in. Oh well, Andy did well. I did have another large Goliath Grouper on, Andy saw it and said it was very large. It almost ripped the pole right out of my hands! I got a bruise on my arm from the dang thing.

While out on Thursday we were also visited by porpoises, sharks, and sea turtles. I just couldn't get my camera out before they disappeared.

All in all a good fishing day, even if Andy was the only one who caught anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment